The Ethiopian Economics Association/EEA/ organized a day conference on the Economic development of Southern Nations and Nationalities Peoples Regional State for the sixth round on 26 March 2016 in collaboration with EEA Hawassa chapter. The conference was opened by welcoming address of Ato Demirew Getachew, Head EEA Secretariat. This was followed by an official opening statement by Ato Tesfaye Tafesa,, Deputy of SNNPR BoFED. The Ethiopian Economics Association Hawassa Chapter comprises four member universities, namely DillaUniversity, Wolaita Sodo University, Arba Minch and Wachamo University. It is centered in the Department of Economics, Hawassa University.
During the conference, ninepapers were presented by various researchers fromEthiopian Economics Association, Hawassa and Addis Ababa Universities, and SNNPR BoFED office, Hawassa. The papers focused on the regional socio-economic condition were presented and discussed: the topics covered includes;
· Prospect and Challenges of Structural Transformation in Ethiopia: The Macroeconomic and Sectoral Perspective,
· The GTP I Performance report in SNNPR: The prospect, challenge and lesson drawn,
· The Demographic Dividend: An Opportunity for Ethiopia’s Transformation,
· Revenue Generation and Budget Utilization Capability of Health Centers (HCs) in SNNPR,
· Application of two stage switching regression on impact assessment: the case of wheat producers in southern Ethiopia,
· Adoption and Intensity of Row-Seeding (Case of Wolaita zone),
· The Effect of Logistics Performance on Marketing Performance in Banana Supply Chain: The Case of Small-Scale Banana Farmers in Arba Minch Area.
· The Empowerment of Women through Microfinance Services in SNNPR: Assessing the Distribution and Impacts of MFIs,
· Income and Wealth Inequality in Ethiopia: An Historical Perspective
The objective of the conference was to strengthen the regional economic development by further inspiring the researchersanddisseminate the research outputs to the people and/orregional policy makers. It also gives an opportunity for researchers and participants to share their experiences and enhance their linkage.The conference attracted about 170 participants.